Demolition has begun of St George’s Catholic Chapel on Round Close Road, West Adderbury.
The chapel opened for Midnight Mass on 24 December 1956 and closed in November 2013. With capacity for a congregation of around 50, the chapel was built to provide a place of worship for local Catholics, who had previously celebrated mass in private homes.
One the chapel has been demolished, a new four-bedroom property will be built. As shown in the site plan below, this will be an L-shaped property with parking for three vehicles.
Although described by many as a utilitarian building, in some ways the simplicity of St George’s Chapel had much in common with the design of the Friends’ Meeting House, also in West Adderbury. As a familiar feature of the West Adderbury landscape for many years, it will be missed.