West Adderbury residents will have noticed that building work has been underway at Cross Hill House over the past few months.
Documents associated with a recent planning application reveal that the main house and coach house will be refurbished, including alternations to the attic to provide habitable space. Work will also be carried out to the outbuildings and greenhouse. At the main house, some of the chimney stacks and roof slopes will be replaced, and the kitchen floor will be relaid.
Cross Hill House was built in the early 18th century of Hornton stone with a Welsh slate roof, but probably incorporates features of an earlier house. It is Grade II* listed, provides 11,290 square feet of accommodation including 5 reception rooms, a 38-foot kitchen, 4 cellar rooms, 10 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms. The house is surrounded by around six acres of gardens, including two walled gardens from the Victorian era. Cross Hill House was once owned by Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Everard Du Cane Norris (1869-1960).
The property was listed for sale in 2017 at £4.25 million in 2017, then re-launched in 2019 at a guide price of £3.45 million.
A bat survey carried out at the property in 2020 found common pipistrelles, soprano pipistrelles and brown long-eared bats. The survey suggests incorporation of a “bat loft” at Cross Hill House to provide a dedicated habit for bats.
A structural report carried out in January 2021 appears to have been commissioned by William and Jessica Yerburgh.